How to Recover WhatsApp History Using Google
Perhaps the easiest way to keep your WhatsApp chat history is to automatically create a cloud backup. All you need is a Google account and Google Drive access. If you haven’t linked your cloud to WhatsApp yet, follow these steps:
- Open WhatsApp and select “Settings” by clicking on the three dots in the upper right corner.
- Now select “Chats” – “Chats Backup”.
- In the Google Account section, enter your Google Drive account.
- Also in the settings you can set how the parts will be uploaded to the cloud: monthly, weekly, daily, when you click the “Backup” button or never.
- You can also set whether to download backups only when you are in a Wi-Fi range or via mobile Internet.
Now, in case of data loss or smartphone loss, you can easily reinstall WhatsApp and start recovery via Google Drive. To do this, follow the recovery instructions when setting up WhatsApp.
Recovering WhatsApp Chat History on Android
If you have deleted part or all of your chat history, you can quickly restore it.
Remove WhatsApp from your smartphone. When reinstalling, click the “Restore” option. The last backup copy of the messenger data will be loaded. However, do not forget that messages received or sent during the current day will not be fully recovered.
Recover messages without linking to Google
If you haven’t linked your Google account to create your backup, you have the second option. For this, the correspondence should not be older than 7 days – any message deleted before this will not be restored.
- Delete WhatsApp.
- You can find chat histories in Android using the file manager. To do this, go to the “/ sdcard / WhatsApp / Databases” section. Be sure to create a copy of the msgstore.db file first. crypt7 “, so as not to lose new correspondence.
- The individual backups are named as “msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.db.crypt7”. Select the copy you need and rename the file with it to “msgstore.db.crypt7”.
- Reinstall WhatsApp and select the “Restore” option.
- If you want to reproduce the current correspondence, repeat the process with a backup copy of the “msgstore.db.crypt7” file.
How to Recover WhatsApp History on iPhone via iCloud
To restore the chat history on your iPhone, the “Documents and Data” section must be activated in the iCloud settings. In the WhatsApp menu under “Chats backup” you can see the time when the last copy was created. To restore chats, simply uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp. Use the same phone number as before and follow the instructions of the app itself.
If you are not prompted for a backup, your iCloud storage was probably full and no backups were saved. In this case, recovery will not be possible. Therefore, we advise you to delete unnecessary files from the cloud in time so that there is always space on it.
Read more about backing up data from your smartphone here.