Google has begun rolling out a new feature for Gmail to free account users. Previously, tabs for Google Chat chats appeared for corporate paying users.
Now, according to Google, users can integrate a “workplace” with their personal mail. The move fits well with the new strategy to make Gmail a home to work.
The Gmail mobile app for Android now has four main sections – in addition to the Mail and Meet tabs that appeared a few months ago, Chat has now been added for individual and small group messaging, and Rooms. for more massive communication with chats, files and tasks.
In the web version of Gmail, the sidebar is divided into four sections. The functionality of the two new tabs-sections is similar to the standalone Google Chat application. In Gmail, you can now search emails and chats at the same time.
In Gmail for Android, you can enable chats like this:
- In the upper left corner of the screen, click on the menu icon and then “Settings”.
- Select your personal Gmail account.
- Under the General section, select Chat (Early Access)
- Confirm by clicking “Try”.
- Gmail will restart.
In the web version of Gmail on PC, chats are activated as follows:
- Open the link mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/chat on your computer.
- Choose Google Chat (Early Access) over Classic Hangouts
- At the bottom, click “Save Changes”.